The Ohio State Board of Cosmetology has compiled lists of most frequently asked questions to better assist you. These answers are meant to cover a wide range of interests, but are in no way totally inclusive.
- What are the license statuses and credential definitions?
- How do I update my license address online?
- What Happens after an Inspection Report with Violations is signed?
- How can I file a complaint?
- How do I know if a chemical, service, or new equipment is approved for use by the Board?
FAQ's For Ohio Licensees
- How can I update my Board approved photo for my license?
- What is Continuing Education (C.E.)?
- How do I apply for an Independent Contractor (IC) license?
- How can I get a managers license?
- How can I get an instructor's license?
- How can I reactivate my current, escrowed license?
- I've lost my license! How do I get a duplicate license?
- What is amnesty and how can I take advantage of it?
- Do I need to list my continuing education classes or include my certificate with my license renewal?
- How long can my license be kept in escrow?
- I have an Ohio license, how can I transfer my license to another state?
- How do I determine the status of my license?
FAQ's for Unlicensed Individuals or those Trained and/or Licensed Outside of Ohio
- How can I obtain a cosmetology license in the state of Ohio if I am currently licensed in another state?
- What are the different types of personal cosmetology licenses?
Instructions for Students
FAQ's for Salon License
- How can I get a license for a salon?
- What are the different types of salon licenses?
- What is the Board's jurisdiction in a salon?
- What should I do if I want to make a change to the salon?
- Can a salon be combined with another type of facility or business?
FAQ's for Tanning Facility License
- How can I get a license for a tanning Facility?
- Is certification required to operate indoor tanning equipmnent?
- What is the Board's jurisdiction in a tanning facility?
- Can a tanning facility be combined with another type of facility or business?
- Who is responsible for cleaning and sanitizing the tanning beds/booths?
- Can a tanning facility sell protective eyewear to patrons?